Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Overheard

The other day at The Little Gym I overheard a conversation. As one mom was leaving she said something about seeing them later and not bringing peanuts. The other woman rolled her eyes and laughed "Yeah, no peanuts." The first mom than went on to explain in whispers to a dad waiting on his daughter in class about some situation. I couldn't hear the whole thing as she really was whipering even though I was like ten feet away. I know I shouldn't listen in on people's conversations but it is a public place and the mention of peanuts had my antenea up.

I could make out parts: trail mix, peanuts, sitting next too, someone asking what they were eating. The last part she said in a normal volume voice "and then she asked "Could you please wash their hands!" She went on with a "Come on, they are just sitting there and here, I have my antibacterial right here."

I saw this as my cue. I said "Antibacterial doesn't affect food proteins. They need to be washed away with soap and water." I felt myself blushing as I get self conscious sometimes still when I speak up.

"Oh," she replied. She seemed a little surprised that I had said something. The conversation ended with that and she went back to occupying her small child. But after her child had a snack (Cheez-its) she took him to the bathroom to wash his hands. It hadn't been my intention and I didn't tell her that Owen was allergic to cheese. However, she didn't speak to me for the rest of the class.

Just before the kids finished she came up with her child and asked how old Owen was. Her toddler was the same age. She made small talk for awhile. It was interesting and I was unsure of what her intention was. Did I change something in her opinoin by my one comment?

I also found this interaction interesting because her own daughter is diabetic. She comes out of class at least once during the hour to get her levels checked. Her mother pokes her finger and then give her a small snack and back in she goes to class. I always figured that mothers who have children with special circumstances would understand that others have their challenges too.

(Seriously, when is blogger going to fix spell check!)

No comments: