Sunday, December 9, 2007

It's Not a Competition

I like knowing other parents of children with food allergies. It is nice to know I am not alone. However, sometimes, it feels like a competition. I recently posted to a new support group I belong to a question about local allergist because I was frustrated that it was going to take 4 months to get into see ours (see Busy Busy Allergists). One parent chimed in with all her child's allergies and how her RAST numbers had gone up and said that though I was frustrated "it could be a lot worse."

I just don't like it when parents play the "my child is more allergic" card. An allergy is an allergy and I really would prefer to hear "I'm right there with you." Don't try to make my problems smaller than yours.

I lay awake for a long time the other night thinking of replies to this parent and in the end bit my tongue. Despite my annoyance, I need these people.

No comments: