Thursday, July 22, 2010

Working FAM

Like I said, I went back to work this past year. I knew it would be hard. But I didn't know it would be as hard as it was. There were points in time this past year where I really thought I couldn't do it. That I was going to crack. That I really was in over my head.

I also might have over scheduled myself. Beside being enrolled in an American Montessori Society training program and working full time I was the treasurer for our HOA (thankless job) and taught my son's 1st grade catechism class (good Lord do first graders like to chat).

I found it particularly hard on the food allergy aspects of our life. We don't eat out so food prep sometimes seemed insurmountable. Both Max and Owen were in school which is full of "fun" food laden events many of which I was informed about the day beforehand. This was troublesome to me on a few fronts. 1). I work at the same place they go to school. It would not be impossible to give me a heads up more than 12 hours before the event. 2). I spent many blurry eyed evenings making baked goods. I began to feel resentful and angry but with food allergies it is hard to know where to direct that resentment and anger. 3). Conflicts particularly with Owen's teachers over food allergy issues led to a stressful working environment for me as they tended to see me not as a parent but as a co-worker.

We are halfway through the summer. Halfway to going back to school (for the kids, I completed my training) and work for me. And I'm not looking forward to it. I LOVE Montessori. I am a really good teacher. But it was a lot this year. I don't know if I can do it again.

It can only get better right?

4 comments:

Claire said...

Drives me crazy how all events with kids revolved around food. Food, food, food. And it can never be fruit can it? Nope. Always baked good and treats he can't have. It's tough!

Every Star Is Different said...

I don't even want to imagine what life will be like when my kids go to school. My three year old is trying out Kindercamp this summer, just to see if it's even worth the bother. My other son's doctor has already said he probably won't be able to go to school. We're not dealing with teachers, but I think I've lost just about every friend I have with kids that are my kids' ages. Honestly that's not many, but still. And our BIG issue seems to be church of all places. Who would have thought! Good luck this year. I look forward to your posts again. I still keep up my blog: http://funwithfoodallergies.blogspot.com if you want to check it out.

So sorry about the new trials you're dealing with.

Maria H said...

Glad you're back. One year off and your writing is still spot on :) Big year for all of you. Asthma here too. Since we manage it everyday with meds, we gotten a handle on it, but it scared the crap out of me when it started last year. Son has had the sensory issue too, it's gotten better over time but anything right now with mother nature is freaking him out, lava and floods in particular...not sure if this might be same issue. Keep posting

Tee said...

I can't imagine how frusterating your work must be, having to deal with the "parent" looks instead of just being a co-worker. It must be scary to leave your child's care in the hands of someone that doesn't seem to fully understand or respect his allergies.