Thursday, July 29, 2010

Ace of Cakes Take Two


I always post Max's birthday cake. I think I outdid myself this year. I started working with fondant for Owen's birthday last January and made him a Mighty Mac cake.

Not bad for my first attempt.

Well, leave it to Max to up the anti. He immediately started talking cakes and would watch any cake show I put on with rapt attention. (He also likes design shows like Trading Spaces Boys and Girls). Problem was the cakes he wanted me to make sounded impossible. In the end we found a picture of a dragon in one of his books and settled on that.

I need to work on taste though. When I add a lot of food coloring to the marshmellow fondant it changes the taste and not in a good way. Also I have been using my basic chocolate cake recipe that I don't think tastes as good without my chocoloate frosting recipe. I'd like to make really tasty good looking cakes. Not that this one was bad but I'm always striving for perfection.

8 comments:

Libby said...

That dragon is AWESOME!

We are having another dino themed party again this year with another volcano cake. My husband just loves doing the dry ice special effects!

Libby said...

Ooooh, I just saw your volcano cake below!

Claire said...

That's amazing!! My son is turning 3 in a few weeks. He loves Thomas! I'm still not good with making egg free cakes, so I'm just going to do cupcakes and do alternating red and blue frosting. We'll still get the plates, cups, balloons in Thomas though!

purplemommy said...

Claire, you should get the bookVegan Cupcakes take over the World. I have made some awesome cupcakes with that.

Claire said...

Thanks for that great idea! Should come in handy when he heads off to school and needs something to eat at parties...or bring for parties!!

Suzanne Ford said...

Food coloring can be kind of unhealthy. It used to trigger ADHD-like symptoms in me as a child. I wonder if beet juice would work for the red? I know it would taste better, but I'm not sure if the look would be vivid enough.

Allergy Mum said...

Great Cakes! I made allergy free special cakes for my son as well.
Allergy Mum - http://allergymum.blogspot.com/

Danny said...

Love the Thomas The Tank Engine one. Emily Loves him.